Date: 4/21/24 9:24 pm
From: Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Palo Alto Baylands 4/21/2024 - Swainson's Hawk, Hammond's Flycatcher, other rarities
All,
Today my dad and I visited the Palo Alto area to search for the Ruddy Turnstones reported by Carter Gasiorowski and Garrett Lau. As we were getting out of the car at Geng Road, I noticed an unusual raptor soaring over the area. I took several pictures of the bird before it flew off to the northwest and vanished. We then headed out towards the San Francisquito Creek Mouth to search for the turnstones, but found that the tide was very high and few shorebirds were present, so we headed back to Geng Road. When we arrived, we ran into Matthew Dodder who was just arriving. I showed him the photos of the unusual raptor from earlier, and he confirmed that it had been a SWAINSON'S HAWK - a very rare bird for the bayshore. Several other interesting finds during our visit included a BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD in the parking lot, a BULLOCK'S ORIOLE in the parking lot, and a family of CANADA GEESE (including several young).

We then headed for the Harris's Sparrow stakeout location near Emily Renzel Wetlands. After some searching, several other birders and I were able to view the HARRIS'S SPARROW as it foraged under some trees at the edge of the parking lot where it has been reported. This bird's plumage has changed significantly since February - it is now molted into breeding colors and has a black forehead/throat and gray face.

After the Harris's Sparrow, we headed back to Geng Road to try again for the turnstones. We ran into Matthew again at the creek mouth, but the tide was still too high for the turnstones. My dad and I then headed towards the Lucy Evans Nature Center, and while biking there, I noticed an unusual empid in several tall shrubs along the trail (at these coordinates: 37°27'34.4"N 122°06'42.2"W). Matthew and I later came back to search for the bird, and he was able to confirm that it was a HAMMOND'S FLYCATCHER - another great bird for the area. Other highlights here included many WESTERN SANDPIPERS in the slough near the duck pond, a CANVASBACK in the channel parallel to the airport, and another CANADA GOOSE family with 3 young.

After the Hammond's Flycatcher, it was getting late for us, so we headed home. I believe Matthew also left, but later returned and found the turnstones (and oystercatchers) with Garrett. Garrett also found the Hammond's Flycatcher later on, and Richard Jeffers spotted a Red-throated Loon flying past the yacht harbor. Tom Cho also had a Tropical Kingbird at Geng Road towards the end of the day - overall, a very good day for rarities in Palo Alto. One final note - huge thanks to Matthew for helping me with the IDs for the Swainson's Hawk and Hammond's Flycatcher!

eBird lists:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S169667305 (Geng Road - Swainson's Hawk)
https://ebird.org/checklist/S169693214 (Harris's Sparrow stakeout)
https://ebird.org/checklist/S169683612 (Palo Alto Baylands - Hammond's Flycatcher)

Aidan Sinha
San Jose

View/Reply Online (#28174): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28174
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county