Date: 4/21/24 9:19 pm
From: via Tweeters <tweeters...>
Subject: [Tweeters] WOS Monthly Meeting, May 6, 2024 (in person and via Zoom)
The Washington Ornithological Society (WOS) is pleased to announce our next Monthly Meeting: on Monday, May 5, Dennis Paulson will present, "Cormorants—perhaps you didn’t know they were so interesting!"

Cormorants occur worldwide, and we are fortunate to have three species of them in the Pacific Northwest. They share a common ancestry and many similar anatomical modifications, but each of them has its own way of life. And cormorants around the world add even more variation to this plan.

Dennis Paulson grew up in Miami, exposed to nature in all its glory while southern Florida was still largely unspoiled. After receiving his Ph.D. in Zoology from the University of Miami, he moved to Seattle where he has lived ever since. He continues to work regularly at the Slater Museum of Natural History, University of Puget Sound where he was Director for 15 years. Dennis is an iconic figure in the birding community, a noted naturalist and dragonfly authority, and perhaps most of all, a dedicated, generous and respected educator.

This meeting will be conducted both IN-PERSON at the UW Center for Urban Horticulture, and virtually, via Zoom. At CUH (3501 NE 41st Street, Seattle), our social time starts at 7pm, and the formal program begins at 7:30pm.

Please go to the WOS Monthly Meetings page: https://wos.org/monthly-meetings/ for instructions on virtual participation and to get the Zoom link. When joining the meeting, we ask that you mute your device and make certain that your camera is turned off.

Zoom sign-in begins at 7:15 pm, and once again, the meeting commences at 7:30 pm.

This meeting is open to all as WOS invites everyone in the wider birding community to attend. Thanks to the generosity of our presenters, recordings of past programs are available at the following link to the WOS YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@washingtonornithologicalso7839/videos

If you are not yet a member of WOS, we hope you will consider becoming one at https://wos.org

Please join us!

Elaine Chuang
WOS Program Support