Date: 4/21/24 6:43 pm
From: Jon Woolf <jsw...>
Subject: [NHBirds] birding in various locations, 4/21
This morning I needed to be over on the coast, so I stopped at a couple
of interesting birding spots along the way.  Mostly it was just the
usual suspects, but I got a few good sightings:

At Deer Hill Wildlife Area, pond #1 had a male Hooded Merganser and Pond
2 had a pair of Ring-necked Ducks and a Pied-billed Grebe.  There was
also a bird I couldn't identify.  It had a blackbird shape and beak, but
without the long tail of a grackle or the epaulets of a Red-winged
Blackbird.  The primary feathers had a definite pale edge to them, and
it flicked its tail up and down repeatedly.  But it didn't match the
Sibley illustrations of adult Rusty or Brewer's blackbirds.  Was this a
first-year Rusty Blackbird?

At Chapman's Landing, there was an Osprey on the osprey nest tower, and
a collection of Mallards, American Black Ducks, and Green-wing Teal in
the marsh.  Oh, and a single Lesser Yellowlegs.

At the Short Street (northwestern) end of the Pease Tradeport runway,
there were several singing Eastern Meadowlarks, a pair of Eastern
Bluebirds, and a Kestrel.

At Peverly Ponds, there were a couple more Ring-necked Duck pairs, and
also a pair of Bufflehead.

And when I got home, I found several Chipping Sparrows either foraging
by the street or singing from nearby trees.

-- Jon Woolf
Manchester, NH