Date: 4/21/24 3:36 pm
From: Nick Bolgiano <nickbolgiano...>
Subject: Tussey Mt HW, Sunday
One highlight was the 94 Common Loons, including 15 which flew in circles
for about 4 revolutions before continuing NW. This is the 2nd highest loon
total for the season. A second highlight was the season's 162nd Golden
Eagle, a subadult, which flew overhead. It had been one week since we last
recorded one.

This starts the last week for this season's watch, which we usually plan to
end Apr 25. If favorable S wind forecasts hold for Fri-Sat, I may extend
the season to include those days. S winds are sometimes are very favorable
for our site.

Nick Bolgiano

Tussey Mountain Hawk Watch
State College, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Apr 21, 2024

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 121 192
Osprey 3 41 48
Bald Eagle 2 24 58
Northern Harrier 0 17 18
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1 143 193
Cooper's Hawk 0 11 27
American Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 5 35
Broad-winged Hawk 10 1275 1275
Red-tailed Hawk 2 90 204
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 1 13 162
American Kestrel 0 21 36
Merlin 0 3 4
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 3
Unknown Accipiter 0 1 5
Unknown Buteo 0 0 2
Unknown Falcon 0 1 2
Unknown Eagle 0 0 1
Unknown Raptor 0 2 5

Total: 19 1768 2270

Observation start time: 08:15:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 7.75 hours

Official Counter: Nick Bolgiano

Observers: Debra Rittlemann

Weather:
Wind initially SSW 3-5 mph, eventually swinging around to W 8-12 mph in the
afternoon, sky mostly overcast with a few peeks of sun, temp 36-46F

Raptor Observations:
GE: 1222 Sub

Non-raptor Observations:
Gr. Blue Heron-2, Barred Owl-1, C. Loon-94

Predictions:
Monday: wind NW 8-10 mph and sunny, could get good thermals
Tuesday: wind SSW 10-12 mph and cloudy, depends on cloudy thickness
Wednesday: WNW/NW 12-15 mph and cloudy - least promising

This is the last week for the 2024 watch, which usually ends Apr 25. I will
be looking at the Fri-Sat forecasts, currently predicting favorable S
winds, for possibly extending the season.

Join us on Facebook!