Date: 4/20/24 7:09 pm
From: Vic Fondy via groups.io <treasurecreek...>
Subject: [sd-birds] WW to Orman and WW report
We selected today 4/20 as the best day for birding, but the weather was
different than forecast with more wind and colder temps.  After reading
the East river list of Shorebirds we were determined to find shorebirds
and birded Bear Butte area lakes, Nisland slough and lagoons, and Belle
Fourche reservoir but found only Killdeer.  Our final stop was Sale Barn
Road lake near St. Onge and were rewarded with Greater Yellowlegs and
Long-billed Curlews nearby.  (Note:  Approach Sale Barn Road from the
south as the north road is badly rutted).

We had some interesting sightings today including FOS American White
Pelicans at Bear Butte Lake and BF Reservoir, Vesper Sparrows on Sale
Barn Rd, and Hooded Merganser at St. Onge pond on Crooked Oaks Road.  I
was a little uncertain on the Hooded Merganser which had the crest
lowered, but the black spurs are pretty diagnostic. Attached are
pictures of the Long-billed Curlew and Hooded Merganser.  Raptor
sightings were limited to Red-tailed and Rough-legged Hawks, Northern
Harrier, and American Kestrel.  One o the Harriers was displaying with
his dive/climb maneuver.  Loggerhead Shrikes appeared to be migrating as
we had 8 or more sightings.  The Great-horned Owl nest along SD 34 NW of
St. Onge now has two owls visible.

At our feeders 1.5 miles south of Whitewood, we had a FOS White-throated
Sparrow, the Song Sparrow is still around, and the Evening Grosbeaks
showed up again intermittently.  Our birding friend at Hat Ranch
subdivision south of Belle Fourche had a FOS Rock Wren on 4/17/24.

Vic/Donna Fondy  605.269.2553