Date: 4/20/24 4:37 pm
From: Ann Verdi via groups.io <aeverdi235...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Almaden Eagles Birdathon, 4/19/24
On Friday, April 19, the Almaden Eagles went out for our annual Birdathon
count which is mainly centered in the Almaden area, parks,lakes, reservoirs
and points south as far as Canada del Oro and a bit of Coyote Valley.. We
are an all-woman team and have opted to use the "distributed": form of
counting where each team member selects a certain area or place to count
birds. Team members include Janna Pauser, Kirsten Holmquist, Marion Farber,
Bobbie Baker, Linda Sullivan, and Ann Verdi.

We ended up with 114 species for our day, and so rather than list all the
species seen, this post will highlight areas and birds seen by each
individual.

Two of our members cover the greatest areas, so I'll start with them.

Janna Pauser covers most of the Almaden area including Hicks Road and
Alamitos Road including wooded vicinities. A highlight for Janna this year
was a PHAINOPEPLA seen at Casa Grande in New Almaden.Also, along with the
many species she heard and saw during the day was COMMON POORWILL in the
early evening In the Santa Teresa Hills near IBM.

Kirsten Holmquist covers most of the area south of Almaden proper including
part of theSanta Teresa Hills at Stile Ranch, Calero & Chesbro Reservoirs,
Canada del Oro, and a bit of Coyote Valley., Highlights for Kirsten at
Calero Reservoir included four grebe species at Calero Reservoir, including
an EARED GREBE.five swallow species including BARN & CLIFF, an Osprey, a
BALD EAGLE and two tern species, CASPIAN and Forster's. Birds of interest
at Canada del Oro included OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, W. WOOD-PEWEE, WESTERN
FLYCATCHER, WESTERN KINGBIRD & HUTTON;S VIREO, In Coyote Valley, she also
picked up YELLOW WARBLER, YELLOW-BILLED MAGPIE and W. MEADOWLARK.

View/Reply Online (#28163): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28163
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county