Date: 4/20/24 12:48 pm
From: rohan.prinja via groups.io <rohan.prinja...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Shorebird Rookery kites
Dropped by the Shorebird Rookery around 6pm yesterday (4/19). Lots of nest-building going on! In addition to the usual suspects - lots of SNOWY EGRET, BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON and a few GREAT EGRET - there were two WHITE-TAILED KITE up in a tall conifer next to building 1355, visible from the visitor parking spots. I couldn't tell if there was a nest there. I also heard a distant NUTTALL'S WOODPECKER, saw two AMERICAN CROW ambling on the ground in search of food, and heard the high-pitched whistle of the wings of a MOURNING DOVE. I searched for the Black Phoebe nest from last year but didn't see any signs of it.

Happy birding,
Rohan

View/Reply Online (#28158): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28158
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county