Date: 4/19/24 7:49 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Adams Farm - Athol MA (19 Apr 2024) 84 Raptors
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 00:50:23 +0000
From: <reports...>
Subject: Adams Farm - Athol MA (19 Apr 2024) 84 Raptors

Merlin 0 10 12
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 1
Unknown Accipiter 1 4 4
Unknown Buteo 0 1 6
Unknown Falcon 0 2 2
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 4 31 35

Total: 84 1522 1666

Observation start time: 07:00:00 Observation end time: 13:30:00 Total
observation time: 6.5 hours

Official Counter: Eric Mueller, Mark Morris

Observers: Eric Mueller, Ernie Leblanc, Jack Miano, Jean Hampel,
Joanne Hart, Paul Vanderhoof

Visitors:
Andy Thompson from the Athol Bird & Nature Club stopped by, and Sundar Laks
helped out for an hour or so. We hope to see both of you up here again.

We enjoyed having Wachusett Mt stalwart Paul Vanderhoof join us for the
first time here. He dove right in and made a lot of first spots, and
worked seamlessly with the team.

Weather:
A kind of a "meh" combination of a bit too little sun and not quite enough
wind in the morning. A bit of haze in the morning gave way to pretty clear
air in the afternoon. Temps rose from 46 to 60 F. The winds came from
various easterly directions until the late morning when they started to
shift to the south.

Raptor Observations:
The birds weren't very impressed with the lack of big thermal activity, nor
the weak easterly winds early on. Other than the morning Turkey Vultures
and one mini-kettle of 5 Broad-wings, the birds came through only in ones
and twos, and they were generally flying at lower altitudes than the last
few days. There seemed to be more activity from the local birds than from
the migrants. Still, we can't complain too much about counting 84
migrating birds.

Local raptors:
OS-2, TV-29, BE-4, CH-2, RS-1, BW-2, RT-4, AK-2

Non-raptor Observations:
Non-raptors:
D-C Cormorant-9, Mourning Dove-2, GB Heron-1, N. Flicker-1, Red-bellied
WP-1, Hairy WP-1, Y-B Sapsucker (drumming)-1, Blue Jay-8, Amer Crow-11,
Fish Crow-1, Comm Raven-4, Tree Swallow-1, Rough-winged Swallow-2, WB
Nuthatch-1, E Starling-14, Amer Robin-1, Bluebird-1, House Finch-1, House
Sparr-10, Field Sparr-2, Song Sparr-1, Wht-Thr Sparr-1, E. Towhee-1, Amer
Goldfinch-4, House Finch-2, Pine Siskin-4, Comm Grackle-1, N. Cardinal-2

Predictions:
A weak front will pass through overnight and bring along rain that's
expected to last until at least 10 am on Saturday. Winds are expected to
shift from the SW to W after the rain passes, and we hope to get in a
half-day of observation time or more.
Report submitted by ERIC MUELLER (<ericmueller1912...>)
Adams Farm - Athol MA information may be found at:
https://massbird.org/emhw/

More site information at hawkcount.org:
https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=953

Join us on Facebook!