Date: 4/19/24 7:16 pm
From: Dianne & Steve Kinder <000000023c9fba03-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Swan Lake NWR, Chariton County today, Franklin's Gulls and more...
I ran back down to Swan Lake today to check things out. Was surprised to see a large flock of Gulls at the DU unit where all the Golden Plovers have been. They were a flock of 250 Franklin's Gulls, with a few Ring-billed and Bonaparte's mixed in. There was also still about 250 Plovers there too. I watched them for about 15 minutes before the Gulls all took off. Later I saw them feeding over Swan Lake Marsh. I went on to Silver Lake where I saw Ruddy Ducks, Spotted Sandpiper, and a FOY Yellow Warbler. When I went back to the DU unit only 6 Golden Plovers remained. Peregrine again? Lots of Pelicans on the Swan Lake Marsh, and 25 Great Egrets. Interesting looking was a couple of first year male Hooded Mergansers. A Black-crowned Night Heron flew across the road in front of me. Had several Warbling Vireos along the way.
Found a couple of Forester's Terns at Goose Pond, Fountain Grove CA, on the way home.

Pretty good day!
Steve Kinder
<dmkinder...>

MBS Spring Meeting: May 3 – 5, 2024 at Stoney Creek Inn, St. Joseph, MO.
Details and registration: https://mobirds.org/MBS/NextMeeting.aspx

Join us on Facebook!