Date: 4/19/24 4:33 pm
From: Denis DeSilvis via Tweeters <tweeters...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM) Eagle's Pride Golf Course (GC) monthly bird walk - 4-18-2024
Tweeters,

Twenty-two birders enjoyed a glorious Spring day with fine sightings and fun conversations. It started cool but ended warmer (35-59degF) with a slight northerly breeze, and JBLM Eagle's Pride GC welcomed not only Spring migrants, but also some folks from Vancouver Audubon, who traveled up here to visit not only Eagle's Pride, but also the nearby Billy Frank, Jr., Nisqually Wildlife Refuge. The highlights included a well-seen CASSIN'S VIREO and 5 (!) HERMIT THRUSHES (see below).

Notable sightings:

RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD - First of Year (FOY)

KILLDEER - FOY

OSPREY - FOY

RED-TAILED HAWK - 6 - we usually don't see that many, but a kettle of 3 were different birds from the other 3 we saw that were more terrestrial located.

MERLIN- a species that we don't normally see.

CASSIN'S VIREO - FOY - heard first and then excellent visual with most observers seeing it.

PURPLE MARTIN - FOY and a species usually seen later in spring or summer at Eagle's Pride BARN SWALLOW - FOY HERMIT THRUSH - FOY - the 5 seen were exceptional for Eagle's Pride and well seen in various spread-out areas of the walk, thus highly unlikely as counted more than once.

CHIPPING SPARROW - FOY

BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD - FOY

ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER - FOY

COMMON YELLOWTHROAT- FOY

TOWNSEND'S WARBLER - First of season

The JBLM Eagle's Pride GC birders meet the third Thursday of each month at 8:00AM starting in March. Starting point is the Driving Range building, Eagle's Pride Golf Course, I-5 Exit 116, Mounts Road Exit. (Turn left immediately after entering the parking lot to take the road leading to the driving range building.) Upcoming walks include the following:

* May 16

* June 20

* July 18

Everyone is welcome to join us!

From the eBird PNW report:

54 species

Mallard 9

Ring-necked Duck 8

Bufflehead 6

Hooded Merganser 3

Pied-billed Grebe 2

Band-tailed Pigeon 12

Mourning Dove 4

Anna's Hummingbird 7

Rufous Hummingbird 3

Killdeer 2

Osprey 1

Bald Eagle 2

Red-tailed Hawk 6

Downy Woodpecker 1

Northern Flicker 4

Merlin 1

Cassin's Vireo 1

Steller's Jay 8

American Crow 4

Black-capped Chickadee 14

Chestnut-backed Chickadee 9

Tree Swallow 40

Violet-green Swallow 2

Purple Martin 3

Barn Swallow 12

Bushtit 12

Ruby-crowned Kinglet 4

Golden-crowned Kinglet 1

Red-breasted Nuthatch 12

Brown Creeper 5

Pacific Wren 5

Bewick's Wren 4

European Starling 4

Varied Thrush 4

Hermit Thrush 5

American Robin 25

House Finch 10

Purple Finch 14

Red Crossbill 1

Pine Siskin 35

American Goldfinch 3

Chipping Sparrow 4

Fox Sparrow 1

Dark-eyed Junco 16

White-crowned Sparrow 12

Golden-crowned Sparrow 5

Song Sparrow 12

Spotted Towhee 10

Red-winged Blackbird 6

Brown-headed Cowbird 5

Orange-crowned Warbler 8

Common Yellowthroat 3

Yellow-rumped Warbler 18

Townsend's Warbler 1

View this checklist online at https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Febird.org%2Fchecklist%2FS169352295&data=05%7C02%7C%7Caa420d450db04853af6808dc60beb224%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638491619356393347%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=IjqeBaX9tcr21Usuy7Ge8US3u7yEXgrMbOROna8xhjM%3D&reserved=0<https://ebird.org/checklist/S169352295>

May all your birds be identified,
Denis

Denis DeSilvis
Avnacrs 4 birds at outlook dot com