Date: 4/19/24 4:00 pm
From: Hugh Ranson via groups.io <zonetail1...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Costa's Hummer
Peter Gaede and I spent some time around the Pride of Madeira patches at
Elings Park this afternoon (see yesterday's post for directions). Peter got
a quick look at the Calliope. There's a gorgeous male Costa's Hummer that
was consistently going to the upper patch of flowers (area described by
Florence this morning). Other highlights were a rare Crotch's Bumble Bee, a
large California Common Scorpion, and a flyover Mallard (rare at the park!).

Biking home along Las Positas, I came across a flattened small owl on the
road. I'll put up photos temporarily on my Flickr page. Let me know if you
know what species it is. Western Screech would be the most likely
candidate, but it's quite brown. I just read that about 7% are a brown
morph, so I wonder if it's that.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159344319@N03/

Hugh Ranson
SB