Date: 4/19/24 2:11 pm
From: Justyn Stahl via groups.io <justyn.stahl...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] celebrating the life of Virginia "Ginger" Johnson
The family has asked that I pass along an invitation to a celebration of
life for Ginger Johnson that will be held on May 25th.

Ginger passed away on March 4th at the age of 93.
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/san-diego-ca/virginia-johnson-11696186

Others who knew her better can surely speak to her legacy, but I knew
her through her years of coverage of the Balboa Park and the San Diego Zoo
during the San Diego CBC. Ginger was a founding member of Western Field
Ornithologists (then California Field Ornithologists) in 1970, served as an
editor of *Western Birds*, and drew the sketch of the Sabine's Gull that
serves as the WFO logo and graces the cover of each issue of *Western Birds*.
In 2010, WFO awarded her the Alan M. Craig award for exceptional service to
the organization.
https://archive.westernfieldornithologists.org/archive/V41/WBirds-V41(4)-Johnson_Award.pdf

A celebration of life will be held on* May 25th, 1:00–4:00pm* at:

Casa Guadalajara Restaurant
4105 Taylor St
Old Town, San Diego, CA

Please RSVP with Annie Marsch <amm249232019...>
For convenience, I've cc'd Annie here.

My condolences to those who knew her personally.

Justyn Stahl
North Park

View/Reply Online (#15960): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15960
The monthly meetings of San Diego Field Ornithologists (SDFO) are currently virtual, open only to members, at 6pm on the third Tuesday of every month.

Two notable on-line resources are available for San Diego birders: the San Diego County Bird Atlas by Phil Unitt (2004) - http://sdplantatlas.org/BirdAtlas/BirdPages.aspx ; and an update of notable records for San Diego County (2002–present), compiled by Paul Lehman - https://bvaudubon.org/birding-resources/ .