Date: 4/19/24 8:37 am
From: Laura M <magrinha97...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Piping Plovers in Boston
Hi all, last night I attended an interesting shorebird Zoom moderated by
John Nelson. Speakers were Wayne Petersen and John Herbert of MassAudubon,
Lisa Schibley of Manomet, and Andrew Vitz of MA Division of Fisheries and
Wildlife. I learned that although shorebirds reported in Massachusetts
over time are in steep decline (especially Hudsonian Godwit, Red-necked
Pharalope and Whimbrel), there is one Massachusetts success story - the
Piping Plover. Federally threatened in Massachusetts and endangered in the
Great Lakes, Piping Plover numbers are currently increasing here by 10% per
year! Twenty years ago, we had 150 pairs, while today we have 1,100 pairs
in Massachusetts. They are even nesting in the City of Boston, behind the L
Street Bathhouses in South Boston.

I also attended a Piping Plover talk about a month ago in Southie. At this
talk, Coastal Waterbird Director Lyra Brennan said the plovers were first
noted nesting near the bathhouse in 2017. Since then, nesting areas have
been roped off and plover monitors put in place. There are three small
beaches behind the bathhouse, which are separated by tall wooden fences.
The bathhouse was closed for several years for renovations, which
undoubtedly helped the birds. Now it is reopened for members. I'm told the
two side beaches will be off limits and reserved for plover nesting, while
the middle, larger beach will be open to bathers, with nesting areas marked
off with strings and sticks.

The birds here are somewhat protected as no dogs are running off leash,
however there is not much vegetation for them to hide in. They and their
chicks are vulnerable to predation by crows, skunks or even coyotes. And
high tides are getting higher, which can wash away nests and then the
plovers have to begin again.

My last count at the beaches was 8 birds. To view the birds from the
central bathhouse deck you must be a Boston resident and a member of the
Curley Community Center - you can apply online if interested.

Laura Markley
South Boston

Join us on Facebook!