Date: 4/19/24 1:47 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Chester County Hawk Watch & Migration Count at Chambers Lake (18 Apr 2024) 7 Raptors
Chester County Hawk Watch & Migration Count at Chambers Lake
Wagontown, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Apr 18, 2024

Black Vulture 0 0 6
Turkey Vulture 0 35 230
Osprey 4 37 61
Bald Eagle 0 13 28
Northern Harrier 0 4 5
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1 7 12
Cooper's Hawk 0 3 5
American Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 16
Broad-winged Hawk 2 268 268
Red-tailed Hawk 0 8 38
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 5 5
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 7 380 674

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis (Early Bird Nature Tours)

Observers: Bill Burkert, Rick Robinson

Visitors:
CHESTER COUNTY HAWK WATCH & MIGRATION COUNT AT CHAMBERS LAKE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (3): Bill Burkert, Rick Robinson
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Chambers Lake!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Cloudy (75% cloud cover), Ceiling - _ ft., Visibility – 15.5-18.6
miles, Temps 52 - 56F, Winds NE @ 8 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Bald Eagle,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (21) and Turkey Vultures (69).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-_; 2 yr.-_; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bird Blog: [PLEASE NOTE: I send out a large weekly
“blog/newsletter” detailing much more than these small daily recaps.
This newsletter from EBNT, has our upcoming schedule and the County year
bird list, etc. If you aren’t receiving it and would like to, kindly
email me <earlybirdtours...> to be added.
<BR><BR>
After my morning walk, I sat at Chambers Lake, scanning sky and lake. The
Bonaparte’s Gulls were gone by the time I arrived. A Warbling Vireo was
here singing away as I unpacked. A Great Egret [my FOY] was in a tree in
the far cove. It was a cold, raw day at The Watch. I spent the day
layered up, gloves and all, trying to keep warm. This was no day for a
hawk migration. Still, the sky was active with local birds, the thickets
and trees full of warblers, and the water active with swallows and gulls
feeding. [Additional highlights listed below]
<BR><BR>
---- Thanks to Frank Haas and his gracious generosity and support over the
years, in his name and in the memory of his wife, Barbara.
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Bufflehead, Wood Ducks, Ring-necked Ducks, Pied-billed Grebe, Spotted
Sandpiper, Greater Yellowlegs, Cormorants, Bonaparte’s Gulls, Great
Egret, Great Blue Herons, Kingfisher, Warbling Vireo, Purple Martins,
Rough-winged Swallows, Raven, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Gnatcatchers, Field
Sparrows, Swamp Sparrow, Towhees, Palm Warblers, and Yellow-rumped
Warblers
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 61; this season:
100
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):”
Great Egret and House Wren.
<BR><BR>
Contact:
Larry Lewis
-------
Early Bird Nature Tours(EBNT)---"Exciting & Fun Adventures in Nature"---63
S. Park Ave., Coatesville, PA 19320---484-340-SORA (7672)--Business
Cell---email: <earlybirdtours...>
"Group Birding - The Economical, Fun and Environmentally Friendly Way to
Bird!"

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks to be mostly cloudy with SE wind
<BR><BR> .
The Chester County Hawk Watch and Migration Count is sponsored, in large
part, by Frank Haas and in the memory of Barbara Haas. Membership in EBNT
is requested. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

More site information at hawkcount.org: https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=707

Site Description:
The platform just left of the only boat ramp for Chambers Lake in the main
parking lot, overlooking the lake to the north.

Directions to site:
We set up in the main parking lot for the lake, on the platform just left
of the only boat ramp.
The Hawk Watch at Chambers Lake (as part of the Chester County Hawk Watch)
operates daily, March 1 thru April 30 from 9am - 3 pm (unless counter is
away leading a tour elsewhere). In fall the season is Sept. 1 thru Nov.
30,each day 9am-3pm. Please contact Larry at 484-340-7672 to confirm
counter is present. This count welcomes all visitors to this fine
habitat. When there are no hawks present, many birds still are. The lake
holds numerous waterfowl species and the variable shoreline can produce
incredible shorebirds.

Directions to hawk watch:
From the Rt. 30 By-pass take the Rt. 82 exit north. Turn left at the first
light(Rt. 340) and go 1.3 miles to Wagontown Rd. Turn Rt. on Wagontown Rd.
and continue on this winding road for 1.8 miles (you will pass the Hibernia
Park entrance on your right, the Chambers Lake parking lot, and Chambers
Lake on your right). Pull off the road to the left and park safely at the
end of the lake to visit the hawk watch. You will see us sitting on the
dike near the road at the end of the lake.

Join us on Facebook!