Date: 4/18/24 7:33 pm
From: Conor McMahon via groups.io <conormcmahon22...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] Brief birding notes from April 17 & 18
Sorry, meant to send the below to the whole listserv for more negative
Cattle Egret information from this morning and evening.

Best,
Conor McMahon
Goleta

On Thu, Apr 18, 2024, 7:32 PM Conor McMahon <conormcmahon22...>
wrote:

> Thanks for all these notes, Florence.
>
> Just in reply to your last entry - today on the way to campus I checked
> Area K at around 10am, and then checked Area K and L/M around 6 pm, and
> didn't see the Cattle Egret either time. The rest of my bike path home also
> borders the portions of Goleta Slough which are visible from Mesa Rd or Los
> Carneros and I didn't see the egret during the ride, either.
>
> Best,
> Conor McMahon
> Goleta
>
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2024, 4:44 PM Florence Sanchez via groups.io
> <sanchezucsb11...> wrote:
>
>> Yesterday I birded Alice Keck Park Garden and Bates Raod, mainly looking
>> for Black-chinned Hummingbirds. I struck out on that one and noticed that
>> most of the hummingbird activity at Alice Keck has dropped off. Bates Road
>> had a nice assortment of birds but nothing special and only Ann's/Allen's
>> Hummingbirds. Highlight was a pair of male Wilson's Warblers singing at
>> each other from sycamores on opposite sides of the bridge.
>>
>> This morning, I tried various locations on Campus where Black-chins have
>> been seen. Again, no luck on campus. The courtyard at the Counseling and
>> Career center did have a lot of activity including a singing Western
>> Tanager, Hooded Orioles, and continuing Selasphorus-type Hummingbirds.
>>
>> Camino Corto open space was surprisingly quiet for this time of year.
>> Sometimes, it's buzzing with activity in spring. the Giant Echiums at the
>> edge of Fortuna Park had several hummingbirds, but no Black-chins.
>>
>> I finally got around to checking for the Cattle Egret but didn't find it
>> today after more than an hour of diligent scanning. It may have moved on.
>> There is still a lot of Egret activity in areas L&M and also the wetland to
>> the west that is behind the Police Station. Updates would be appreciated.
>>
>> Florence Sanchez

View/Reply Online (#37221): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/37221
Updated status and distribution of Santa Barbara County birds: http://www.sbcobirding.com/lehmanbosbc.html
For guides to birding eBird Hotspots in SB, see https://birdinghotspots.org/us/california/santa-barbara-county