Date: 4/18/24 4:44 pm
From: Florence Sanchez via groups.io <sanchezucsb11...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Brief birding notes from April 17 & 18
Yesterday I birded Alice Keck Park Garden and Bates Raod, mainly looking for Black-chinned Hummingbirds.  I struck out on that one and noticed that most of the hummingbird activity at Alice Keck has dropped off.  Bates Road had a nice assortment of birds but nothing special and only Ann's/Allen's Hummingbirds.  Highlight was a pair of male Wilson's Warblers singing at each other from sycamores on opposite sides of the bridge.
This morning, I tried various locations on Campus where Black-chins have been seen.  Again, no luck on campus.  The courtyard at the Counseling and Career center did have a lot of activity including a singing Western Tanager, Hooded Orioles, and continuing Selasphorus-type Hummingbirds.
Camino Corto open space was surprisingly quiet for this time of year.  Sometimes, it's buzzing with activity in spring.  the Giant Echiums at the edge of Fortuna Park had several hummingbirds, but no Black-chins.
I finally got around to checking for the Cattle Egret but didn't find it today after more than an hour of diligent scanning.  It may have moved on.  There is still a lot of Egret activity in areas L&M and also the wetland to the west that is behind the Police Station.  Updates would be appreciated.
Florence Sanchez

View/Reply Online (#37219): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/37219
Updated status and distribution of Santa Barbara County birds: http://www.sbcobirding.com/lehmanbosbc.html
For guides to birding eBird Hotspots in SB, see https://birdinghotspots.org/us/california/santa-barbara-county