Date: 4/18/24 1:45 pm
From: Peter Pyle via groups.io <ppyle...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Adult male Baltimore Oriole (?) at McLaren Park
Based on Kevin Liberg's photos of the upper wing:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S169202341

...I'm not 100% sure but think Al (below) is correct that this is may be
an adult and therefore a female, rather than an SY male. I had thought
the pattern to the tail may not be usual in adult females, even those
with mostly male-like body plumage, but the apparent lack of  contrast
between brown and black feathers among wing coverts and tertials would
point to an adult.

I'll be checking for more photos to help confirm this. Better photos of
the open tail would be very instructive.

Cheers, Peter