Date: 4/18/24 10:01 am
From: William Bouton via groups.io <boutonbill...>
Subject: [slocobirding] Almost molted into alternate plumage
Hi All,

During the last couple of months I’ve been watching some of the Lark Buntings that have been wintering on the Carrizo Plain, as they molt from immature or basic plumages into their beautiful black and white spring/summer look. Yesterday I observed a dozen individuals at least (they come and go). At one point, six obvious molting males were perched on the barbed wire at one time. Some have wondered if they would leave before the molt is complete. Some are very close to having their alternate breeding finery.

Some seem to me to be close to completing this springs molt. See a couple of pictures at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/billbouton/

Bill Bouton
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
www.flickr.com/photos/billbouton/sets/ <http://www.flickr.com/photos/billbouton/sets/>