Date: 4/18/24 5:08 am
From: Andrew Bechdel <andrewbechdel...>
Subject: Tussey Mountain Hawkwatch - April 18th, 2024
Good Morning Bird Club,

Initially, I called off the watch yesterday due to the forecasted rain, but
I ended up going anyway after conditions improved. I wasn't disappointed!
Around 3pm, the cloud cover cleared and allowed for some sun. This sparked *a
surge of 200 Broad-winged Hawks in 2 hours*. There were multiple flight
paths with some birds staying close to and low over the ridge and others
kettling far out to the S. Fortunately, my parents came up to help spot and
keep track of the many migrants. As other eastern HW sites reported, *many
kettles had Sharp-shinned Hawks* mixed in. My only regret is that I
couldn't stay later as I think the 6pm hour probably brought another 100
BWs. Regardless, Friday's flight will likely eclipse yesterday's

See you at the Watch!

-Andrew

*Tussey Mountain Hawk WatchState College, Pennsylvania, USADaily Raptor
Counts: Apr 17, 2024SpeciesDay's CountMonth TotalSeason TotalBlack
Vulture000Turkey Vulture0119190Osprey23239Bald Eagle22155Northern
Harrier11415Sharp-shinned Hawk17123173Cooper's Hawk21127American
Goshawk000Red-shouldered Hawk0535Broad-winged Hawk223683683Red-tailed
Hawk283197Rough-legged Hawk000Golden Eagle012161American
Kestrel12136Merlin134Peregrine Falcon003Unknown Accipiter015Unknown
Buteo002Unknown Falcon012Unknown Eagle001Unknown
Raptor025Total:25111311633Observation start time:12:00:00Observation end
time:16:30:00Total observation time:4.5 hoursOfficial CounterAndrew
BechdelObservers:Dave Bechdel, Kathy BechdelVisitors:Kathy and Dave
BechdelWeather:Overcast upon arrival then clearing a bit around 1400 with
light SE wind. Wind speed: 1-5mph. Temperature: about 15 Celsius.Raptor
Observations:No Golden Eagles. Initially, I called the day due to
forecasted rain, but I decided to conduct the count after conditions
cleared and wind shifted to the SE. Around 1400, cloud cover cleared a bit
and spurred a large flight of BWs. Unfortunately, I had to leave at 16:30.
I think I could've seen another 100 BWs if I had stayed. Non-migratory
raptors: 1 Black Vulture, 15 Turkey Vulture, 2 Broad-winged Hawk, 1 Bald
Eagle, 1 Red-tailed HawkNon-raptor Observations:N/APredictions:Friday could
be an excellent day with moderate SSE/S wind.*

Join us on Facebook!