Date: 4/17/24 8:54 pm
From: Barbara M Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Adams Farm - Athol MA (17 Apr 2024) 707 Raptors - new site record
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 23:06:32 +0000
From: <reports...>
Subject: Adams Farm - Athol MA (17 Apr 2024) 707 Raptors - new site

Unknown Buteo 1 1 6
Unknown Falcon 1 2 2
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 2 27 31

Total: 707 1438 1582

Observation start time: 07:30:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 6.5 hours

Official Counter: Eric Mueller, Mark Morris

Observers: Eric Mueller, Ernie Leblanc, Jack Miano, Mark Morris,
Ted Purcell

Visitors:
Several people on shopping runs stopped by to find out why we were
shouting
so much and pointing at the sky.

Weather:
Bright skies with only high, thin clouds above us, temps in the 50's and
low 60's, and a very light wind from the West. Low humidity gave us
clear
views throughout the day.

Raptor Observations:
Our best daily count ever in the short history of this site, both for
total
migrating raptors (707), and for Broad-wings (683). And having a great
crew
of experienced hawk watchers made the count go very smoothly.

The day started slowly, probably because of the light winds, and late in
the morning, we were wondering if we were going to see many birds. But
once
the sun got the ground heated up, the thermals kicked in, and at around
11:30 EST (12:30 EDT) the 'wings started coming through in droves. Many
were spotted at and stayed at very high altitude, so I'm guessing that
there were good northerly/westerly winds aloft for the birds to ride.
The
flight dropped off substantially after 1 pm.

Larger BW kettles:
11am-12pm - 20, 20, 22, 29, 83 & 90, plus 8 kettles of 10-20 count each.
12-1pm - 20, 45 & 94.

Local raptors: Black Vulture-2, TV-17 (Eric started at 7:30 EST and
missed
much of the local roost coming up), BE-2 (1 ad, 1 imm), CH-3 (lots of
courtship flight displays), BW-2, RT- 3 (2 ad, 1 imm with a flight
feather
sticking up on its left wing)

Non-raptor Observations:
Non raptors:
D-C Cormorant-5, Mourning Dove-1, N. Flicker-1, Red-bellied WP-1, Downy
WP,
Y-B Sapsucker (drumming)-1, E. Phoebe-1, Chimney Swift-1 (first of the
year
spotted by Ernie), Blue Jay-2, Amer Crow-4, Fish Crow-1, Comm Raven-6,
Tree
Swallow-2, BC Chickadee-1, T Titmouse-2, WB Nuthatch-1, E Starling-8,
Amer
Robin-2, Bluebird-2, A Goldfinch-2, House Finch-2, House Sparr-6, Field
Sparr-2, Song Sparr-4, Wht-Thr Sparr-1, E. Towhee-2, Amer Goldfinch-1,
House Finch-2, Pine Siskin-1, N. Cardinal-3

Predictions:
A front is moving in from the south, and the chances of rain throughout
the
morning into the early afternoon range from 25% to 50%. Mark will make
last minute decision on whether to conduct a watch.
Report submitted by ERIC MUELLER (<ericmueller1912...>)
Adams Farm - Athol MA information may be found at:
https://massbird.org/emhw/

More site information at hawkcount.org:
https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=953

Join us on Facebook!