Date: 4/17/24 8:24 pm
From: Hal Cohen via groups.io <raptorhal3...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Swainson's Hawks in Borrego Springs-At least 200-400-Wednesday Evening 4/17
This evening at 6:40pm we were surprised! At least 75 hawks streamed in
from the south. By 7pm around 80 more hawks arrived. For the next half hour
one stream of hawks after another arrived. Conservatively we believe at
least 200 hawks dropped into the Date Farm and Roadrunner Club. The number
could reach 400 or more, as one kettle after another arrived until 7:30pm.

Tomorrow the wind will be very light. The hawks will probably begin to
kettle up after 7:30am or later. The best viewing will probably be around
1.8 miles north of Palm Canyon Drive on Borrego Valley Rd. If the hawks
move northwest, the best viewing will be on DiGiorgio Rd. around 1.8 miles
north of Palm Canyon Drive. We will have scouts out to help locate the
hawks.
Hal Cohen
Borrego Springs, CA

View/Reply Online (#15952): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15952
The monthly meetings of San Diego Field Ornithologists (SDFO) are currently virtual, open only to members, at 6pm on the third Tuesday of every month.

Two notable on-line resources are available for San Diego birders: the San Diego County Bird Atlas by Phil Unitt (2004) - http://sdplantatlas.org/BirdAtlas/BirdPages.aspx ; and an update of notable records for San Diego County (2002–present), compiled by Paul Lehman - https://bvaudubon.org/birding-resources/ .