Date: 4/17/24 6:35 pm
From: Preheim, Kelly via groups.io <kelly.preheim...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Spring Arrivals - Douglas and Charles Mix Counties
Hey everyone! I'm going to try to be better about posting bird sightings. It seems like every day I see a couple more new arrivals during spring bird migration. This morning on my walk to school I heard a Harris’s Sparrow. After school, on my walk around the lake in Armour, South Dakota, I saw my first Osprey of the year. This past weekend, some other FOYs were a flock of 40 White-faced Ibises flying over Armour and three Swainson’s Hawks flying together in Douglas County. There’s a lot of waterfowl at the Lake Andes National Wildlife Refuge, along with American Avocets, Baird’s Sandpipers, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs. Purple Martins and Tree Swallows are increasing in numbers. I have seen Say’s Phoebe, Eastern Phoebe, Hermit Thrush and Vesper Sparrows in the area lately too.

My kindergarteners and Chickadee Bird Club kids are thrilled with all the birds they are seeing. They act like they saw celebrities! They are excited about the Turkey Vultures, Yellow-headed Blackbirds, Double-crested Cormorants, American White Pelicans and others. All the elementary kids are keeping track of their sightings on a huge, picture chart in the hallway. I think it helps make them more aware of the birds in their area. I hope you are all able to enjoy spring migration with the enthusiasm of a child!