Date: 4/17/24 4:03 pm
From: Robert Ross <plumisl...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Grosbeaks in Ipswich
Hello All:

Today I went to the private yard in Ipswich where a Blue Grosbeak was found
earlier this week by Sue McGrath. The bird showed up for me around 1:30 PM
and hung around for approximately 10 minutes. Beautiful bird.

When I first pulled up the house, and walked toward the feeders, I saw a
red bird dart into a feeder with a blue roof, transparent sides, and
birdhouse size holes on either end. I raised my binoculars just as it
darted back out of the feeder and perched in a horizontal position on the
deck rail.

Red head, red back, noticeably black wing surrounded by red, and at least
one wing bar. Obviously larger than a House Finch and more close in size to
the cardinals who were ubiquitous around the feeder. My instinct ID was
Pine Grosbeak.

I raised my camera as it jumped back into the feeder and just as quickly
darted out the opposite side and across a wetland behind the house toward a
large stand of very tall pines. No shot at a photo.

I am quite sure this bird was a Pine Grosbeak, as I've seen many in my life
(I grew up in Wisconsin in the 1970s where they were feeder birds).
However, the other possibility is a Red Crossbill. I thought for sure I saw
a different bill structure than the Crossbill. At that distance and with
the quick view, I could have mistaken a Crossbill for the Pine Grosbeak.

So if you go to see the Blue Grosbeak, keep an eye out for a Pine Grosbeak
or perhaps a Red Crossbill. I would be surprised if it was a Crossbill, but
I'm glad to be corrected if so.

Sincerely,

Robert Ross
<plumisl...>