Date: 4/17/24 3:48 pm
From: <jerrymcw...> <0000001b5c226889-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Erie County, Presque Isle Hawk Watch for April 17, 2024

Unknown Falcon 0 0 3
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 2 3

Total: 9599 14463 20420

Observation start time: 12:30:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 3.5 hours

Official Counter: Jerry McWilliams

Observers: John DePaul, Julie Leonard, Katie Andersen

Visitors:
John DePaul, Katie Andersen, and Julie Leonard assisted with the count.
Sam Paulson stopped for a visit.

Weather:
Cloudy with rain in the AM then clearing by mid-day with strong SSE wind
and quite warm.

Raptor Observations:
Wow! What a surprise! My only regret is that I didn't get to the hawk
watch 30 minutes earlier when all hell broke loose. The sky was full of
Broad-wings when I arrived with and estimated 1500 birds in the air in
three kettles and they were still coming. I estimated 7300 BWs in the first
30 minutes of the watch. Today was a record-breaking day for BWs. A man
doing bird counts from the tower said they started pouring through around
1200 hrs. EST. He had already recorded twice as many birds before I
arrived. With the strong south wind and approaching low pressure system
birds were stacked up along the lake. After the 1300 hr. when more clouds
moved in, the number of birds dropped significantly, but was still steady.
Many Sharp-shins were mixed among them, but were difficult to sort out and
count among the huge kettles of BWs. Highlight was a Golden Eagle passing
high overhead.

Non-raptor Observations:
Tree Swallow, Cliff Swallow 1 (early), Double-crested Cormorant,
blackbirds, Northern Flickers, Canada Goose, Ring-billed and Herring Gull.

Predictions:
Cloudy in the AM becoming partly cloudy with west winds and cooler. After
today's big show not expecting much unless we get a wind shift to the
south.Jerry McWilliamsErie, Erie County, <Pa.jerrymcw...>

Join us on Facebook!