Date: 4/17/24 3:22 pm
From: Kaaren Perry via groups.io <surfbird1...>
Subject: [slocobirding] Wintering sparrows on the move?
Since early October we have been treated to daily yard visits by good numbers of the expected wintering sparrows. Primarily White-crowns, Golden-crowns, with Fox and Lincoln sparrows visiting less frequently over the time. A single White-throated Sparrow has been seen regularly since November 29, 2023. For the past 7 months the various sparrow species have been observed daily, dropping from the bushes to enjoy the anticipated seed toss.

Today when I went out to spread the seed only three birds appeared! A single White-crowned, gambelii sp, a Golden-crowned and the ever faithful White-throated. They appeared almost immediately. I patiently waited for more to arrive.

After about an hour I began to suspect that most of "our" wintering sparrows may be heading to their breeding grounds. I did a little review of their breeding territories on BOW. The White-throated Sparrow is know to breed from the Yukon, the Northwest Territories and east to New England and Newfoundland. White-crowned Sparrow gambelii ss. breeds from Alaska to the Hudson Bay. Golden-crowned breed from central and western Alaska to northwestern Washington. Long trips ahead for these 'little brown jobs"!

Our 2023 WTSP was last seen on April 29, 2023.

Maybe a few of the very same birds will revisit our yard next Fall?

Kaaren Perry
Morro Bay
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaarenp/ <http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaarenp/>.