Date: 4/17/24 12:53 pm
From: Vic Fondy via groups.io <treasurecreek...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Thanks and WW Report
Thanks to Judy Hengen and the other ladies that weekly survey Canyon
Lake and the West River Campus.  Their reports often give us a forecast
of  migrating birds to look for at our feeders 1.5 miles south of
Whitewood.  An example is today we had our FOS Eastern Phoebe briefly at
our feeders which we might have overlooked today if it had not been
reported earlier on the West River Campus report. Other new sightings
since our last report include FOS Mourning Doves on 4/12, which are
still around, and a Sharp-shinned Hawk this morning.  The Lewis's
Woodpecker also showed up twice last week but is no longer protecting
the feeder it adopted.  I suspect it is still in the neighborhood and
headquartering at a location it used a few years ago.  Unfortunately the
Evening Grosbeaks have not returned recently. The warm weather has
lowered the larger numbers of birds feeding, but still lots of birds.

In the past 10 days we have been fortunate to received 5 inches of rain
which should help to offset the earlier drought conditions.  Whitewood
Creek is running very high and we have pairs of  both Common Mergansers
and Mallards on creek.  Attached is a picture of the male Common Merganser.

Vic/Donna Fondy 605.269.2553