Date: 4/15/24 8:06 pm
From: Dianne & Steve Kinder <000000023c9fba03-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Swan Lake NWR today, Chariton County
I did a quick drive through Swan Lake while in the area. There were still 400+ American Golden Plovers at the DU Unit in the middle of the refuge. Some of them are really getting some nice breeding plumage color. Bunch of Dabbling Ducks and some other shorebirds there. Lots of Pelicans, some Cormorants, many Great Blue Herons, and several Great Egrets in Swan Lake Marsh. Then first heard, and then watched a pair of VERY VOCAL Sandhill Cranes come flying in. They landed out across from the bino/scope viewing platform on the west side, and almost vanished in the tall vegetation.
Earlier I watched three very small fledgling Killdeer running around. Certainly made me think of little Dinosaurs as I watched them!

Keep Birding and Carry On!
Steve Kinder
<dmkinder...>

MBS Spring Meeting: May 3 – 5, 2024 at Stoney Creek Inn, St. Joseph, MO.
Details and registration: https://mobirds.org/MBS/NextMeeting.aspx

Join us on Facebook!