Date: 4/15/24 4:20 pm
From: David Armstrong via groups.io <darmstrong99...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Big Walk redux
Yesterday I was joined by Dom, Matt and Bob for our 2nd annual spring SF Big Day on foot. Last year 3 of us covered 14 miles in the Presidio, for a total of 103 species. This year we covered a similar distance, mostly in Golden Gate Park, starting and ending in Sutro Heights Park and adding an early-morning seawatch from the Cliff House. We finished with a total of 99 species as a group. I had expected the total to be slightly higher than last year and had we seen a few more migrants or continuing rarities, it would have been. All in all we had decent weather, some nice birds and an enjoyable day in nature, with almost 12 hours in the field.
A few highlights -
- The most surprising sighting IMO was a flyover flock of 15 Great-tailed Grackles at Sutro Heights Park in the early morning, certainly not a species that would be on my radar for that location- Bullock's (1) and Hooded Orioles (2) at Sutro HP- 1 lingering Common Goldeneye (m) on Sutro Baths along with a female Bufflehead- first hearing (then briefly seeing) the continuing TRKI at North Lake. (We heard it sing its staccato, trilled song - and it threw us for a loop. I don't think I've ever heard one vocalize in our area)- Western Bluebird pairs seen at Sutro and the Polo Fields- 1 very pale tan-striped White-Throated Sparrow with GCSP/WCSP flock at Blue Heron Lake- Varied Thrush in the Redwood section of the Arb (Dom only)- Red-breasted Nuthatch calling from the AIDS Memorial Grove- lingering Hermit Thrush at Coon Hollow- Common Yellowthroat (presumed migrant, away from the water) just west of Elk Glen Lake - the only one of the day
Worst misses had to be the now resident Hooded Merganser (which I had seen the day before at BH Lake) and no flyby parakeets either one of which would have pushed us to 100 :-)
Composite checklist is below for those who are interested, and Dom also created site-specific lists along the way.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S168696210