Date: 4/15/24 3:52 pm
From: Ted Keyel via groups.io <erkeyel...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Chimney Swift, Carlsbad
Hi all, I just had at least one Chimney Swift calling in a flock of 42
Chaetura swifts flyover me close to the intersection of Poinsettia Ln and
Black Rail Rd in Carlsbad.

As I was getting out of my car, I heard the rapid, bubbling chatter of a
Chimney Swift (a call that I'm intimately familiar with from WI), looked up
and saw a flock of Chaetura swifts flying low overhead. Unfortunately, I
didn't have any optics/camera with me and by the time I tried to get the
voice recorder going on my phone the flock had moved on to the northwest.

I am new to the area and am looking forward to birding around more and
getting to meet you all. I've been an avian field biologist for most of the
last decade and will be starting a cartography/GIS position at Camp
Pendelton next week.

Happy Birding,
-Ted Keyel
Carlsbad (soon-to-be-Oceanside)

View/Reply Online (#15950): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15950
The monthly meetings of San Diego Field Ornithologists (SDFO) are currently virtual, open only to members, at 6pm on the third Tuesday of every month.

Two notable on-line resources are available for San Diego birders: the San Diego County Bird Atlas by Phil Unitt (2004) - http://sdplantatlas.org/BirdAtlas/BirdPages.aspx ; and an update of notable records for San Diego County (2002–present), compiled by Paul Lehman - https://bvaudubon.org/birding-resources/ .