Date: 4/15/24 3:04 pm
From: Grove, Deborah Shuey <dsg4...>
Subject: Atlasing this morning in Huntingdon County near Stone Creek Ridge
Spent this morning atlassing in two blocks. I was able to move some species into the Probable status from earlier checklists. I enjoyed some of the new migrants. Louisiana Waterthrush are one of my favorite and found 8. I heard some singing but most made themselves known by the strong chip notes by the streams. Another new migrant was Blue-headed Vireo and they showed up in the pine and hemlocks and I heard 5. 5 Blue-gray Gnatchatchers buzzed as I walked along. Pine Warblers breed in the area and I heard 12. Another unusual breeder is Red-breasted Nuthatch and I had 3. Not all will stay. And 2 White-breasted.
An unusual species for me was Barred Owl. Those that know me know I usually can not hear them but this one must have been close. I answered with my best imitation and it shut up. Maybe it was disgusted. Birds that will breed farther north that I found are 1 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, 2 Dark-eyed Junco and 29 White-throated Sparrows. Eastern Towhees are also prevalent and I had 20 singing. 1 singing Fox Sparrow was special.
33 Species observed
7 Checklists
1
Red-shouldered Hawk