Date: 4/15/24 9:46 am
From: Greg D. Jackson via groups.io <g_d_jackson...>
Subject: [ALbirds] Saginaw/Calera this AM (15 Apr)
AL Birders:

"Happy" Tax Day everyone! šŸ™ To put myself in a better mood, I opened
the morning with a mug of coffee on the boardwalk at Limestone Park,
reveling in the birdsong all around. Hard to beat early morning at a
marsh! Enjoyed my FOS adult male Orchard Oriole singing in clear view
near the platform, and both House and Marsh wrens were in song. A Sora
called from deep in the marsh but no other rails were heard. Several
beautiful Wood Ducks were about but no gangly Anhingas were spotted. My
favorite bird encounter of the morning was a lengthy point-blank view of
a lovely LINCOLN'S SPARROW low in the trees by the pond at the model
aviator pavilion -- not a bird I get to see often in this area,
especially well (but of course I didn't have my camera . . .).

A check for Rick's Upland Sandpiper at the Calera Publix fields was
unsuccessful, and when I had the pleasure of running into Joe Wujcik and
Michael Fritts I learned they also had not seen it this morning. The
White-fronted is still hanging around, though. The whole area is really
busy today with lots of construction and mowing. And as Ken alluded, we
are at the verge of losing at least parts of this area soon. Another
hotel is being built near the Hampton Inn, and at the back side of the
Publix fields near the microwave tower road, dump trucks have begun
filling in that portion with dirt. It's a man-made field to begin with,
of course, but we have so little accessible short-grass field habitat in
the area it's going to be painful to lose it (plusĀ  the Saginaw/Calera
area has been on fire for good birds so far this year!).

Greg

Greg D. Jackson

Birmingham, AL