Date: 4/15/24 9:34 am
From: Deb Grantham <dgg3...>
Subject: RE: [cayugabirds-l] Taughannock Falls light show?
Thank you!

Deb

From: <bounce-128147718-83565122...> <bounce-128147718-83565122...> On Behalf Of Rachel Hogancamp
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2024 12:09 PM
To: Regi Teasley <rltcayuga...>
Cc: Astrid Jirka <astrid...>; CAYUGABIRDS-L <CAYUGABIRDS-L...>

Good morning, all -

I've been in touch with Jennifer Tavares at Tompkins Chamber and Fred Bonn of the Parks Services. Jennifer let me know they have received feedback from a number of people and are considering what may be possible at this point. I imagine they will send a notice out to all but if I hear anything definitive I will be sure to let you know.

Thanks,
Rachel

On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 12:00 PM Regi Teasley <rltcayuga...><mailto:<rltcayuga...>> wrote:
Astrid,
Thank you for your comments.
But I think compromise isn’t our answer here. In my view, this issue has developed because human beings see Nature as an afterthought. Humans see their own goals and actions as primary and, if they care at all, they might try to “minimize” their impact. God forbid they could reschedule or reconsider this project.
As long as we don’t understand that Nature is not under our dominion, we will be unable to solve our environmental and climate problems. We are watching and participating in the 6th Great Extinction; but apparently that hasn’t sunk in yet.

Regi
____________
Creativity is the heart of adaptive evolution.
Terry Tempest Williams

On Apr 15, 2024, at 10:27 AM, Astrid Jirka <astrid...><mailto:<astrid...>> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I appreciate the care and attention being given to the peregrines and the ravens in light of the lightshow being planned this weekend, as I've seen expressed through the Cayuga Bird Listserve.
I also appreciate NYS Parks for all they do to promote recreation and conservation of our natural resources.
And I appreciate the Chamber and Visit Ithaca for all they do to promote tourism in our area which is so crucial to our local economy.
It is understandable to me that there is an interest in a celebration and that Tgnk Falls should be (literally) highlighted due to its beauty and its attraction to locals and visitors alike.

Could one of the birders please explain exactly what they think the repercussions would be to the bird nests that are of concern? Are the females likely to abandon their nests, eggs or chicks, and never return?

It is nice to see a community caring so much for our natural resources in so many ways. Let's do our best to make it work for the birds and the humans and all involved!

Take care,

Astrid Jirka
Director of Tourism Initiatives
Discover Cayuga Lake