Date: 4/14/24 2:09 pm
From: Edge Wade <1edgewade...>
Subject: Mokane Road Scissor-tails, Loggerhead Shrike, sparrows, etc.
Pete Monacell birded Mokane Road (Callaway Co.) this morning. His checklist S168582771 beginning at 8:45 a.m. includes 7 Scissor-tailed Flycatchers, a Loggerhead Shrike and Lark Sparrows on the power lines.

By the time I got there at 11:28 (checklist 168628566), the day had begun to heat up and it got to 83F before I left). There was only one bird on a power line, a Lark Sparrow. Birds had headed for shade and very few were singing.

There were Lark Sparrows, and I found one Vesper Sparrow. One STFL was hanging out in the first sycamore on the north side of the road past the blue tarp-roofed quonset structure (tree has much green foliage all around the trunk).

The shrike was a no show. Warbling Vireos were singing.

NOTE: If you go to Mokane Road from the north on US 63, do not exit onto Rt. W, the usual Airport Exit, because the overpass is closed--you can't get across 63/54. Continue across the river, take the Main Street exit, cross the highway and enter the northbound traffic, then take the Airport exit as you are coming from the south.

MBS Spring Meeting: May 3 – 5, 2024 at Stoney Creek Inn, St. Joseph, MO.
Details and registration: https://mobirds.org/MBS/NextMeeting.aspx

Join us on Facebook!