Date: 4/14/24 6:52 am
From: John Edmondson <johnhedmondson...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Arlington Reservoir walk today
Hi,

I led a bird walk at Arlington reservoir this morning. It was co-sponsored
by the Brookline Bird Club and the Menotomy Bird Club. Some of the
highlights were the Ruddy Ducks who were sleeping and not showing their
bills but the males are becoming very pretty. Also Green-Winged Teal, Palm
Warblers, a Yellow-Rumped Warbler (or were there 2? I only noted one),
Eastern Phoebe, and Ruby-Crowned Kinglet which we located after hearing it
and had some pretty good looks. A Red-Tailed Hawk caught something,
probably a squirrel and went back in the woods to eat. There were three
circling hawks, possibly migrating that I couldn't ID. In retrospect, I'm
guessing juvenile Red-Tails but I couldn't make a solid ID.

John

PS you can add the list to your ebird using this link:
https://ebird.org/mychecklists?subID=UzE2ODU0Njg4Mg==&s=t

Arlington Reservoir, Middlesex, Massachusetts, US
Apr 14, 2024 7:02 AM - 8:57 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.17 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Menotomy and BBC bird walk. 20 people at the outset.
34 species (+1 other taxa)

Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 5
American Black Duck (Anas rubripes) 2
Green-winged Teal (Anas crecca) 5
Bufflehead (Bucephala albeola) 3
Ruddy Duck (Oxyura jamaicensis) 18
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) 4
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) 4
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) 1
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus) 1
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 1
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) 1 caught food. Probably a squirrel.
hawk sp. (Accipitridae sp. (hawk sp.)) 3 just wasn't sure. My first
impression was osprey. 3 bird cirling in the sun direction. I couldn't see
any red on the tails. Fair mount of patterning on the under wing. Maybe
dark shoulders, but I just wasn't confident of ID.
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) 1
Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) 3
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) 2
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe) 1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 6
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 2
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 4
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) 2
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor) 6
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Corthylio calendula) 1
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) 2
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 3
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 13
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) 4
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 11
Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina) 1
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) 2
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 7
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 10
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula) 7
Palm Warbler (Setophaga palmarum) 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata) 1
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S168546882

--
Group home page:
https://mrines.com/Birds/Arlington/