Date: 4/13/24 3:29 pm
From: eBird alert <alert.ebird...>
Subject: [slocobirding] [eBird Alert] San Luis Obispo County Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

- Calliope Hummingbird (1 report)
- Solitary Sandpiper (2 reports)
- Laughing Gull (3 reports)
- Short-billed Gull (2 reports)
- Elegant Tern (3 reports)
- Lark Bunting (3 reports)
- Orchard Oriole (1 report)

Calliope Hummingbird (Selasphorus calliope) (1)
- Reported Apr 12, 2024 17:00 by Kevin Zimmer
- 7000 San Gregorio Road, Atascadero, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.7081983&<ll...>,-120.7081983
- Comments: "Adult male, with heavily striped, magenta gorget; green back; whitish below with cinnamon-buff sides; short tail; relatively short bill; distinctly smaller than all other hummingbirds present. Visited feeders several times over the course of my stay, almost never perching to feed. I'll upload photos shortly."

Solitary Sandpiper (Tringa solitaria) (1)
- Reported Apr 12, 2024 16:15 by David Lawrence
- Avila Ranch Park, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.6744351&<ll...>,-120.6744351
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Surprised to see this bird, continuing for weeks at this site. On this visit it was exclusively on the south side of the lagoon and briefly on the concrete ramp. My initial images were 2/28/2024 but I had seen it a few days earlier, so its duration at this site is at least 6 weeks. I posted it again 3/21/24, and saw it again last week. Its plumage seems to have darkened with blacker blacks and whiter whites, but this could be due to lighting conditions and overall plumage is similar over these 6 weeks."

Solitary Sandpiper (Tringa solitaria) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Apr 12, 2024 10:48 by Herb Elliott
- Avila Ranch Park, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.6744351&<ll...>,-120.6744351
- Media: 6 Photos
- Comments: "continuing - https://ebird.org/checklist/S163047182"

Laughing Gull (Leucophaeus atricilla) (1)
- Reported Apr 13, 2024 08:00 by Ann Stockert
- Old Creek--Cayucos, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8875608&<ll...>,-120.8875608
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing in the area. First year bird. Photos to be added."

Laughing Gull (Leucophaeus atricilla) (1)
- Reported Apr 12, 2024 14:58 by Reef Comer
- Old Creek--Cayucos, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8875608&<ll...>,-120.8875608
- Comments: "The grayer of T Edell’s two 1st cycle laughing gulls was still present. Dusty gray head, black bill and legs, gray wash on sides of neck/flanks, dark gray mantle, white underside, and long black primaries."

Laughing Gull (Leucophaeus atricilla) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Apr 12, 2024 14:29 by Tom Edell
- Old Creek--Cayucos, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8875608&<ll...>,-120.8875608
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Two immature birds appeared on the beach while I was photographing the Elegant Terns. I managed one photo of both birds before the one in a more advanced wing molt flew off. At rest, the wing did not show any brown like the one that stayed. After taking my first photo, I only saw it flying away under an overcast sky. I took several photos of the one that remained on the beach. The remaining bird looks like a first cycle bird with brown showing in the wing coverts, one the crown and mixed with gray feathers on the shoulder and breast. I am unsure of the age on the second bird but think it is also a first cycle bird but further into its molt. These may be the birds previously seen at Morro Creek mouth and on the Morro Bay Estuary this winter and at Cayucos Creek mouth on Apr 8. eBird data indicates this has been a good year for Laughing Gull along the California coast, especially in Southern California. (see photos)."

Short-billed Gull (Larus brachyrhynchus) (1)
- Reported Apr 12, 2024 14:58 by Reef Comer
- Old Creek--Cayucos, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8875608&<ll...>,-120.8875608
- Comments: "Continuing, somewhat bleached 1st cycle bird."

Short-billed Gull (Larus brachyrhynchus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Apr 12, 2024 14:29 by Tom Edell
- Old Creek--Cayucos, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8875608&<ll...>,-120.8875608
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "First cycle (photo)"

Elegant Tern (Thalasseus elegans) (43)
- Reported Apr 13, 2024 08:30 by Ann Stockert
- Morro Creek mouth, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8624411&<ll...>,-120.8624411
- Media: 6 Photos
- Comments: "Counted by twos. Combination of two groups about 50 feet apart. Long slightly curved orange bill that is lighter towards the end, and a shaggy black crest. Photos to be added."

Elegant Tern (Thalasseus elegans) (2)
- Reported Apr 12, 2024 14:58 by Reef Comer
- Old Creek--Cayucos, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8875608&<ll...>,-120.8875608
- Comments: "Mid-sized, shaggy-crested terns with thin, orange bills giving loud keerik calls. Have seen a few of these around recently. Flying offshore."

Elegant Tern (Thalasseus elegans) (4) CONFIRMED
- Reported Apr 12, 2024 14:29 by Tom Edell
- Old Creek--Cayucos, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8875608&<ll...>,-120.8875608
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "four adults (photo)"

Lark Bunting (Calamospiza melanocorys) (4)
- Reported Apr 13, 2024 10:17 by Zachary Loman
- Lark Bunting stake-out 2023-2024 (use only for birds at this location), San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.7330033&<ll...>,-119.7330033
- Comments: "Continuing"

Lark Bunting (Calamospiza melanocorys) (6)
- Reported Apr 13, 2024 08:32 by Ben Kolstad
- Lark Bunting stake-out 2023-2024 (use only for birds at this location), San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.7330033&<ll...>,-119.7330033
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "5 males and one female/immature male"

Lark Bunting (Calamospiza melanocorys) (2)
- Reported Apr 12, 2024 10:00 by Roger Zachary
- Lark Bunting stake-out 2023-2024 (use only for birds at this location), San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.7330033&<ll...>,-119.7330033
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "2 males; one on the nearby fence and the other out a distance"

Orchard Oriole (Icterus spurius) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Apr 12, 2024 13:05 by Jay Carroll
- Doris Street Coastal Access, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.848252&<ll...>,-120.848252
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Adult male found earlier in the day by Jim Royer; black head, back and tail, chestnut underparts; the dark wings had white edging on the remiges and coverts; the bird vocalized occasionally with a series of chatter calls and whistles."