Date: 4/13/24 2:50 pm
From: via Tweeters <tweeters...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Thanks for Osprey platform comments
Hello tweeters,

I hadn't realized that Tweeters doesn't publish a
contributer's email anymore, so no one who might have wanted to write to me
directly about my Osprey platform query (why don't we have many in western
WA as opposed to eastern WA) could do so. So thank you to Nancy Morrison,
Meredith Spencer and Marilyn Shearling for your comments today. There were
some yesterday too. It appears that county offices of Washington Dept of
Fish and Wildlife may be responsible for erecting Osprey nesting platforms.
Apparently ours in King and Snohomish don't feel a need to do that. So many
of our Ospreys are obliged to nest in cell phone towers!

Ronda Stark and Tom Benedict also had comments. Ronda said
that some platforms constructed in our area are so poorly designed that
Ospreys can't use them NOAA did a good job, however.

Since I wrote my original post, I have seen one good Osprey
platform in western WA. It is on PUD land above Sultan at the hydroelectric
plant that they operate there. The Ospreys are already on the nest and seem
happy!

Good birding, Charlotte Byers, Edmonds

<byers345...>