Date: 4/13/24 2:39 pm
Subject: Pender Co. Broad-winged hawks
Hi -

I observed 2 Broad-winged Hawks in southern Pender Co. today. The first, about 10:30 AM was in Holly Shelter Game Land. I heard it and recognized the call, and looked up to get a glimpse of a Buteo high overhead. Back in the car I checked the call on the Sibley app. to confirm the ID.

Then about 3:45 PM I observed an immature fly low across Hwy 17, between Hampstead and Scotts Hill.

We had heavy rain and some thunderstorms Thursday, with strong SW winds. Since then the sky as cleared, but the strong SW winds have continued, so I presume these were migrants displaced east by these winds.

Wayne

Join us on Facebook!