Date: 4/13/24 1:52 pm
From: Lisa Myers <lisa...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Spring birding at Agnews Historic Park
Hi All -

Had a store bird walk this morning at Agnews Historic Park in Santa
Clara. Pushed it back to 10 AM hoping we'd miss the rain. Nothing like
California spring birding with snow on the hills, temps in the 40's,
plus wind and rain.

The bird activity was low even between showers, however, we did find
nesting *AMERICAN ROBINS* and *MOURNING DOVES*. *HOODED ORIOLES* could
be heard throughout our morning with one male showing off for the group.
*CEDAR WAXWINGS* were here in numbers and would be a great place for
those wanting to see this species.

One *RED-TAILED HAWK *was hanging out the entire time. He sat preening
in a palm along Palm Dr. for quite some time with no concern for us. We
believe this same adult was also observed flying around the park. When
we left he was sitting at the top of the clock tower.

*BROWN HEADED COWBIRDS*are here along with the expected *CALIFORNIA
TOWHEES*, *BEWICK'S WRENS* and *DARK-EYED JUNCOS*.

We only had 18 species. I think the birds were smart enough to stay
home. My group were all great sports to join this morning's adventure.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S168446830

Lisa Myers
Los Gatos Birdwatcher/Let's Go Birding

P.S. A reminder to all that the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society's
Spring birdathon is happening now. I am leading team, "Los Gatos
Birdwatcher" next Saturday from 8 - 12. We will birding the Los Gatos
Trail, details to come. We have room if you would like to join. And if
you cannot join the fun, we and SCVAS welcome your support.
https://scvas.org/spring-birdathon-2024-teams#birdwatcher

View/Reply Online (#28133): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28133
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county