Date: 4/12/24 12:24 pm
From: Robin Leong <robin_leong...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Bald Eagle attempting to nest on Mare Island, Solano County
Hi,
Patricia Hickey alerted me that a Bald Eagle is nesting on Mare Island. I checked on 4/11 at 11:20 AM for an hour, but there was a nest, but no birds. She told me that a pair usually come in around 6:30 PM. I returned at 7:10 PM. The pair was there as Patricia pointed out. She said that there is an adult and an immature. Sure enough, that is what I saw, my raptor id book says it is a transitional bird. The younger one was seen moving branches around the nest and trying to break nearby branches. The adult was just looking over what the younger one was doing. They did bump chests, but I didn't see any copulation or dancing.

Today I returned at 10:10. The transitional bird was on the nest trying to move sticks again. The nest is huge, I think they have been doing this in previous years. It is pretty late, but we'll see if they will produce a successful brood.

The location of the nest is best seen by entering Mare Island and driving on Azuar Road. Drive south until you get to the roundabout. Go around it past the Marine Commandant's house, and drive until you see a pullout. Drive past this to a driveway. Park. There will be a house on the West side in front of you. Look to the right past the house in the eucalyptus trees. You'll see the nest.
Robin Leong
Vallejo, CA