Date: 4/12/24 5:18 am
From: Keith Carlson <keithecarls...>
Subject: [mou-net] Canada Geese Occupying Eagles Nest
On the west side of Lady Slipper Park in Roseville on South Owasso Blvd.
approximately two blocks west of Rice St., we have been observing one or
frequently two Canada Geese occupying an eagles nest. Last winter -
2022/23 - we had observed, a pair of Bald Eagles attempt to nest there but
they abandoned after a late February/early March rain. Geese were
subsequently on it a few times . This year we saw eagles on it a few
isolated times but no apparent attempt to nest. This time the geese are
almost certainly nesting on it because it seems to be occupied full time
for at least a week now . If only one goose is on the nest, she? cannot
always be seen because she? rests her head back on her body preventing
viewing because of the height of the nest's edges.

Is this unusual? It's hard to imagine the geese raising their young there
since the goslings cannot fly for two to three months but usually leave
the nest 1-2 days after hatching to swim and walk. Can they possibly
survive a fall of 40 to 50 feet ala Wood Ducklings?

Keith Carlson
<keithecarls...>

----
General information and guidelines for posting: https://moumn.org/listservice.html

During the pandemic, the MOU encourages you to stay safe, practice social distancing, and continue to bird responsibly.

Join us on Facebook!