Date: 4/11/24 6:48 pm
From: Brooke Miller <brooke.bam...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] FEBRUARY 2024 Cumulative Bird Report - Santa Clara County
Hi South Bay Birders:

Last month I made a mistake on the total number of species. Instead of
214, we had 215 species. For February we had a total of 7 species, so that
brings us to 222 species at the end of February. The average for February
is 9, and the average total is 202. Thank you to everyone who birded, and
took the time to report birds either on SBB, eBird, or send emails directly
to me.

The birds seen in February are as follows:

1. Hermit Warbler (3), 2/3/2024, found by Brian Ahern at Sanborn County
Park at the Sunnyvale Mountain Trailhead
2. Brandt’s Cormorant (6), 2/7/2024, found by Ray Trent at Harvey Marsh
3. Harris’s Sparrow (6), 2/11/2024, found by Noah Eckman at Emily Renzel
Wetlands
4. Lesser Black-backed Gull (5), 2/16/2024, found by Dessi Sieburth and
Cameron Tescher, at Salt Pond A13
5. Red-naped Sapsucker (5), 2/16/2024, found by Mike Mammoser at Ogier Ponds
6. Northern Rough-winged Swallow (2), 2/18/2024, seen by Charles and
Jillian Sismondo
7. Dickcissel (6), 2/20/2024, seen by Matthew Dodder at a Cambrian Park home

As a reminder, here is what each rarity code means:

**Rarity Codes:
1 = common, always seen in habitat in season.
2 = fairly common, usually in habitat in season, but missed sometimes.
3 = uncommon, always around, but sometimes you can't find.
4 = rare, occurs yearly in the county, but not always in same places.
5 = very rare, does not occur every year.
6 = casual or vagrant, generally fewer than 10 records.

My monthly reports are made up of eBird sightings, postings on SBB, and
direct emails. You can find February’s complete report in the archive at
https://scvas.org/sc-county-birds-archive-2024 and all the monthly
cumulative lists on the SCVAS website at:
https://scvas.org/sc-county-cumulative-year-lists. Please post all your
sightings to: mailto:<south-bay-birds...> <south-bay-birds...> or
to www.eBird.org <http://www.ebird.org/> .

Please contact me if you find errors or omissions, or have questions or
comments.

Brooke Miller

--
*Brooke Miller*

View/Reply Online (#28128): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28128
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county