Date: 4/11/24 5:09 pm
From: via Tweeters <tweeters...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Nesting platforms for Ospreys
Hello Tweeters,

Today I drove over to a cell tower near Hwy 99, where, for
the past number of years, Ospreys have had nests. I have attached a photo
showing a prospective parent on the tower with a bunch of sticks already on
the tower.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29258421@N07/53648198239/in/dateposted-public/

I have been pondering this question: why is it that in
eastern WA and probably other places in western WA there are lots of
platforms erected for Ospreys to use during nesting season, yet around here
in affluent Edmonds, for instance, we have none that I know of? My
understanding is that the cell tower owners may need to clean off the debris
from the nest, possibly interrupting the nesting season for these birds. I
wish we had some platforms around here in Edmonds! I think there are
several pairs of Ospreys that nest here every year, but all on things like
cell phone towers. Eastern WA appears to be way ahead of us here. I'd love
to hear from some of you that are better informed than me about why this is
the case. Best regards, Charlotte Byers, Edmonds