Date: 4/11/24 6:53 am
From: hilltower12 <000001ab5bb2c0b4-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Volunteers need for Fayetteville UArk window strike monitoring
Hello Erin,I know that I'm replying a bit late but I saw your call for volunteers last month while I was in Louisiana assisting Matt Courtman & the Mission Ivorybill search team & I have been wanting to contact you ever since. Last year I wasn't able to help your team but I helped you out back in 2022. I don't know if you remember me but I was with you the day you found the blackburnian warbler (my  NW Arkansas Nemesis Bird!) near Waterman Hall at the UA Law School.Now that I'm back home in Fayetteville I would be available to help the rest of your monitoring sessions except for Friday April 26 & Monday April 29. I just had a cancelled physical therapist appointment for (Fri. 4-12) so I could start tomorrow if you need me. I live in downtown Fayetteville & I am within easy wallking distance from the UA campus.Barry BennettFayetteville
-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------Von: Erin Sauer <erinsauer10...> Datum: 29.03.24 10:26 vorm. (GMT-06:00) An: <ARBIRD-L...> Betreff: Volunteers need for Fayetteville UArk window strike
monitoring Hi all,It is that time of year where I ask for volunteers to help monitor window strikes! I run a window strike monitoring program at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. We survey campus buildings three mornings a week for four weeks during spring and fall migration. I also have an incidental reporting form here that gets a couple reports each semester. There are a couple biology grad students who help me run the program but most of my volunteers are undergraduates who are not birders or biology majors. We always need more help though and I've really struggled to find volunteers who can commit to coming out regularly. So, if you are in Northwest Arkansas and looking to help with an ongoing effort to make buildings safer for birds, please reach out! We can really use the help. Spring monitoring schedule: We will be meeting at the fountain outside the union building at 8AM every Mon
day, Wednesday, and Friday from 4/8-5/3. Please let me know if you plan on coming so I know how many people to expect. Wear comfortable shoes that you don't mind wearing in grass and dirt.I've been using the data to make targeted mitigation suggestions to UArk admins. This has been going on for a few years now and there hasn't been any retrofitting yet. However, there are some plans in the works and the University admins I have spoken with do seem interested in improving buildings on campus. I've also been asked a couple times about expanding this to downtown Fayetteville but we simply do not have the manpower to expand beyond campus.Erin-- Erin L. Sauer, Ph.D. (she/they)Postdoctoral FellowDepartment of Biological SciencesUniversity of <Arkansaserinsauer10...>

To unsubscribe from the ARBIRD-L list, click the following link:

or click the following link: