Date: 4/10/24 10:14 pm
From: Carol Joan Patterson <0000003a0ccbe138-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Eclipse Birding observations
I was hoping to hear and owl, but no luck in that department - probably not dark enough long enough.  Still, it was a splendid experience!  Yes - let’s do it again!
On Wednesday, April 10, 2024 at 01:28:53 PM CDT, Patty McLean <plm108...> wrote:

We were at Bald Knob NWR with a friend from Georgia and were eventually joined by Ken Graves from Searcy. We noticed cars from a number of other states and saw a few other birding friends who were kind to share their Moon Pies and Milky Ways with us.
The celestial event was stunning. The birds were interesting to watch altho the amazement of the eclipse captured most of our attention. Red-winged Blackbirds came in to a nearby roost and the ducks and shorebirds huddled in a deeper water area. Bird songs decreased and the frogs began their chorus. Then we heard the distinctive call of a Barred Owl.
Such a grand experience. Makes me want to do it again...and before 2044.
And no traffic afterwards!
Best to all.
Patty McLean and Michael Linz The Roadrunners Patty

-------- Original message --------From: Jodi Morris <mjodimorris...> Date: 4/10/24 11:42 AM (GMT-06:00) To: <ARBIRD-L...> Subject: Re: Eclipse Birding observations
In Broadmoor Neighborhood in Little Rock, I had a Mockingbird that wouldn’t shut up during totality and his song really  seemed loud in the absence of others’ voices. We do have a resident Great Horned Owl in the POA Park bordering my yard. I did not hear him hoot, but he must have stirred. His tree was mobbed by crows and jays as soon as Totality ended.
On Tue, Apr 9, 2024 at 6:32 PM Anderson, Leif - FS, AR <000002b0bc8b0106-dmarc-request...> wrote:

Greetings all,

The last 3 days I ‘ve had the pleasure of being a volunteer for some neat bioacoustic eclipse research.  Led by Douglas Barron and his undergrad student Colton Morris, from AR Tech University.

I had 3 interesting bird observations.

During the partial portion of the eclipse 2 White-throated Sparrows stopped feeding/calling/singing and flew up into a Cedar bush.  They stayed on the “roost” until after totality then resumed their normal feeding behavior.

The end of totality “Dawn chorus” at 1:54pm was just as good as our normal dawn chorus.

About 4 min into totality a Barred Owl started calling.

Holla Bend NWR hosted about 800 eclipse visitors, many of whom were birders/ nature lovers from all over the country, Canada and even a birding family from the Czech Republic.

, Leif

To unsubscribe from the ARBIRD-L list, click the following link:

To unsubscribe from the ARBIRD-L list, click the following link:

To unsubscribe from the ARBIRD-L list, click the following link:

or click the following link: