Date: 4/10/24 5:26 pm
From: Andrew Bechdel <andrewbechdel...>
Subject: Tussey Mountain Hawkwatch - April 10th, 2024
Hey Bird Nerds,

There isn't much raptor news to report on today. It was pretty much a
dead flight. So, I thought I'd recap yesterday as I was unable to submit a
report. Tuesday's flight was heavily concentrated in the morning in what
seemed to be a continuation of Monday's good flight. 20 of our 30 Sharpies
arrived in the first 2 hours. Our first "kettle" of 3 Broad-wingeds was
spotted high above the S side of the ridge (At Tussey, I believe this
qualifies as a kettle. However, counters at Veracruz might disagree as they
see 1000s in just a few hours). As the morning progressed, the raptors kept
soaring higher and higher, almost beyond detection. With full sun
conditions, Broad-winged Hawks are adept at getting impossibly high in the
sky, making life difficult for the diminutive human hawkwatchers atop the
ridges. After I left at 1pm, Nick and Deb continued counting. It seemed to
slowly tapered off after this point. Hopefully we can enjoy another good
flight like Monday and Tuesday before the end of the season.

In other bird news, Common Loons continue to make their routine late
morning flight N. Some of these loons were seen acting "loony", diverting
from their linear path and circling over the powerline. Additionally, we
had some FOY birds including the loud, ground scratching Eastern Towhee,
the diminutive Ruby-crowned Kinglet, and the sweet singing Blue-headed
Vireo.

Thanks to Deb Rittlemann and my parents for showing up and supporting the
watch. Debs photography skills have helped us id birds in the past and her
spotting skills are always welcome at the watch.

The next 2 days will likely be a wash and Saturday will be bringing winds
too strong for raptors. The next possible good watch day is Tuesday. I'll
let y'all know if anything changes in the forecast.

See you at the Watch!

-Andrew

*Tussey Mountain Hawk WatchState College, Pennsylvania, USADaily Raptor
Counts: Apr 10, 2024SpeciesDay's CountMonth TotalSeason TotalBlack
Vulture000Turkey Vulture8108179Osprey02431Bald Eagle0943Northern
Harrier11011Sharp-shinned Hawk084134Cooper's Hawk1925American
Goshawk000Red-shouldered Hawk0535Broad-winged Hawk03535Red-tailed
Hawk153167Rough-legged Hawk000Golden Eagle07156American
Kestrel01429Merlin012Peregrine Falcon003Unknown Accipiter004Unknown
Buteo002Unknown Falcon012Unknown Eagle001Unknown
Raptor014Total:11361863Observation start time:08:30:00Observation end
time:16:30:00Total observation time:8 hoursOfficial CounterAndrew
BechdelObservers:Visitors:Kathy and Dave BechdelWeather:Overcast with very
light SW/WSW wind for a majority of the day. Cloud cover dissipated some
around 1500. Wind speed: calm-4mph. Temperature: 15-20 Celsius.Raptor
Observations:No Golden Eagles Flight was dead for majority of the day. A
few raptors began to move once the clouds parted late in the day.Non-raptor
Observations:Notable Birds: Great Blue Heron, FOY Blue-headed Vireo, FOY
Ruby-crowned Kinglet, N. Rough-winged Swallow, 15 Brown-headed Cowbird, 15
Common Loon: (4)9:42,(8)9:46,(2)9:51,10:37Predictions:Uncertain; tomorrow
might be a wash along with Friday. Next possible good day will be Tuesday.*

Join us on Facebook!