Date: 4/10/24 2:18 pm
From: eBird alert <alert.ebird...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] [eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

- Black Scoter (1 report)
- American x Black Oystercatcher (hybrid) (1 report)
- Orchard Oriole (2 reports)
- Baltimore Oriole (2 reports)
- Summer Tanager (1 report)

Black Scoter (Melanitta americana) (1)
- Reported Apr 08, 2024 16:55 by Michael I Christie
- Jalama Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.5014432&<ll...>,-120.5014432
- Comments: "preening on beach about 200mts SE of campground. Smallish, all black, including belly; no white on wing. Blackish head, eye, and bill with yellowish 'nail'. A bit scruffy looking, apparently molting (showing a mix of brownish and blacker feathers on wings and body) Will add photos. [I spent some time scanning the sea and surf looking for Surf Scoters but saw none]."

American x Black Oystercatcher (hybrid) (Haematopus palliatus x bachmani) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Apr 09, 2024 10:30 by Sangeet Khalsa
- San Miguel Island / Tuqan (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.373038&<ll...>,-120.373038
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Black bib extending down into lower breast with mottled border. Seen just NW of Crook Point."

Orchard Oriole (Icterus spurius) (2)
- Reported Apr 10, 2024 09:15 by Mark Holmgren
- Carpinteria Valley Memorial Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.525857&<ll...>,-119.525857
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "[09:49] Small, delicate-looking, female-plumaged oriole with small area of scattered black spots on chin.
[09:53] The second bird is a full on male. The male is actually in the park in a Southern Magnolia for a few minutes. Then it continued to the Sycamore next to it."

Orchard Oriole (Icterus spurius) (2)
- Reported Apr 09, 2024 18:23 by Susanne Meyer
- UCSB--campus, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8450041&<ll...>,-119.8450041
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Immature male and female continuing near chancellor’s house. Just saw them briefly before they flew west towards the lagoon. Only got a photo of the female."

Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) (1)
- Reported Apr 10, 2024 10:36 by Alex Castelein
- UCSB--campus, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8450041&<ll...>,-119.8450041
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Apparent young male (or maybe adult female?) with nearly all black head becoming mottled towards the back. Short orange tail, extent of black on head, and ‘Northern Oriole’ chatter (I don't know if Balty vs Bullock's chatter is noticeably different) rule out male hooded oriole, along with other plumage details. Face/head being all black rules out bullock’s, as well as the clean white wing bars without any “teeth”. Sophie joined me and we think we heard him sing a few notes. Difficult bird to track down as it spends its time in a random selection of the upper canopies of the many many eucs. I first noticed it when I arrived and it flew out of a bottlebrush and up into one of the trees closer to the student health building. Mostly in the eucs surrounding this parking lot (34.4159604, -119.8532147). The only documentation I can provide are screenshots of digibin videos when the bird was high up a tree, so they’re pretty awful. After the first 5-10 minutes when I had consistent, decent views of it through my bins high up in the trees, it became very difficult to locate. Sophie joined me and we tracked it down by its chatter and she got brief views"

Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) (1)
- Reported Apr 10, 2024 10:36 by Sophie Cameron
- UCSB--campus, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8450041&<ll...>,-119.8450041
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Apparent young male (or maybe adult female?) with nearly all black head becoming mottled towards the back. Short orange tail and ‘Northern Oriole’ chatter rule out male hooded oriole. Face being all black rules out bullock’s, as well as the clean white wing bars without any “teeth”. Sophie joined me and we think we heard him sing a few notes. Difficult bird to track down as it spends its time in a random selection of the upper canopies of the many many eucs. I first noticed it when I arrived and it flew out of a bottlebrush and up into one of the trees closer to the student health building. Mostly in the eucs surrounding this parking lot (34.4159604, -119.8532147). The only documentation I can provide are screenshots of digibin videos when the bird was high up a tree, so they’re pretty awful"

Summer Tanager (Piranga rubra) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Apr 09, 2024 08:18 by Mark Holmgren
- Lake Los Carneros Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.84975&<ll...>,-119.84975
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "This is the yellow and red bird. Seen along trail far east of Stow House and just W of the lake."

View/Reply Online (#37173): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/37173
Updated status and distribution of Santa Barbara County birds: http://www.sbcobirding.com/lehmanbosbc.html
For guides to birding eBird Hotspots in SB, see https://birdinghotspots.org/us/california/santa-barbara-county
-=-=-