Date: 4/10/24 1:49 pm
From: James Kimball <kimball...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Birds and eclipse
i haven’t seen local comments on the eclipse relative to birds and thought I would mention our yard experience. Through our late winter, each day just after sunset we have had 8 cardinals and about the same number of juncos coming to our feeders, the juncos on the ground, the cardinals at feeders and on the ground. We see smaller numbers here and there during the usual day, but never all at once. As it started getting dark on Monday, they all showed up. Our starlings made a small flock atop a neighbor’s tree, as they usually do in the evening and our 30+ House Sparrows all got quiet in our hedges. As expected it got very dark for a short time; our new street lights all came; we walked the dogs and took a nice selfie. As soon as it got light again all the house sparrows were chattering away, about as loud as I’ve heard them! Robins started singing up and down the street. One of them, I wish I could have recorded him, was singing with an extra dose of energy. It was all a neat experience.

Jim Kimball
<kimball...>