Date: 4/10/24 7:29 am
From: Sid Stivland <norlastiv...>
Subject: Re: [mou-net] Good birds
This was in Central Plymouth - about half a mile NW of Plymouth City Center.

On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 8:52 AM Sid Stivland <norlastiv...> wrote:

> Yesterday, we had our first actual outside birding day this spring for my
> 3rd grade Youth Mentor class. This also included debugging all of the
> Merlin apps on iPads, not a simple task since there are 30 of them (I
> previously had to call in technical assistance - thanks to Rich Gotz for
> his expertise). But I digress.
>
> Bird highlights in addition to our 'regulars' were: 1) an enthusiastic
> Song Sparrow who was either vigorously defending his territory from
> marauding 3rd graders or simply broadcasting his excellent repertoire, 2) a
> Kildeer, 3) a small flock of Kinglets, Golden-crowned seen and heard, 4) a
> very noisy Northern Flicker, 5) a Chickadee building a nest in a hole in a
> small tree,
>
> Overhead, spotted by the kids: 1) pair of Bald Eagles circling in their
> elegant aerobatics - courting, playing, other interaction? 2) pair of
> Turkey Vultures catching thermals, 3) a single flyover Sandhill Crane,
> croaking along, 4) One Sharpie zipping through - kids ambivalent about
> birds that eat other birds.
>
> The kids were really into it - they didn't want to go back in. It was
> probably just spring fever - anything outside has to be better than
> arithmetic. But I choose to believe it was the birds..

----
General information and guidelines for posting: https://moumn.org/listservice.html

During the pandemic, the MOU encourages you to stay safe, practice social distancing, and continue to bird responsibly.

Join us on Facebook!