Date: 4/9/24 6:02 pm
From: Daniel Getman <000002b3a133f539-dmarc-request...>
Subject: No Sightings - Trip to Hilton Head Island
We just spent a week at Hilton Head Island and were able to do some birding at several places on the island, as well as a few spots nearby. The weather was generally sunny, with temps in the 70sF.

While there, we visited:

* Sea Pines Forest Preserve
* Fish Haul Park
* Pinckney Island NWR
* Cypress Wetlands in Port Royal
* Audubon Newhall Preserve

There were not many migrants yet, but lots of waders. We visited 2 rookeries - at Pinckney Island NWR and Cypress Wetlands in Port Royal.

Highlights included:

* Brown-headed Nuthatch in the trees right outside our patio
* Black Skimmers - such cool birds, with their longer lower bill and shorter upper bill, skimming for fish
* 3 different waders photographed mating - wood storks, yellow-crowned night herons and little blue herons - it’s spring time!
* Yellow-crowned Night Herons displaying
* 4 osprey fishing along the coast, with an eagle watching from shore and then chasing one with a very large fish - it got dropped in the water and neither bird retrieved it

Photos can be viewed at: flicker.com/photos/dgetman/sets

Dan Getman, Kirksville, northeast MO

MBS Spring Meeting: May 3 – 5, 2024 at Stoney Creek Inn, St. Joseph, MO.
Details and registration: https://mobirds.org/MBS/NextMeeting.aspx

Join us on Facebook!