Date: 4/9/24 10:39 am
From: kernscot <kernscot...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Solar Eclipse on 4-8-2024
I had an eye appointment yesterday on Albany's Washington Ave. Ext. and my doc rushed me ahead of others who didn't care and got me out (pupils dilated) for the Eclipse. Wearing sunglasses I got to Everett Rd. and over to the Albany Rural Cemetery St. Andrew Society section on the peak of the hill. Perfect.
I was squinting and tearing up and I closed my eyes and listened. I was alone, and no other humans were anywhere. Traffic was quiet and birds were somewhat vocal at 3:15 pm.
The sky was clear with only a few clouds as the sun slowly dimmed. Birds and everything was still. I didn't try for photos. It grew grayer and dusk-like until the peak of the eclipse at about 3:30 pm. I thought it would be darker.
It gradually grew light again and the birds started to vocalize. A pair of honking Canada Geese flew into the pond east of me. Crows and Blue Jays joined in. Eventually, robins sang and the world was happy again. It was dawn.
It was an amazing experience. I am 78 years old and probably won't have this opportunity again.

Nancy Kern
Austerlitz, NY
Columbia County